Sunday 14 November 2010

Now that, my friends, was a good day. It started with a bit of a panioc on my part, though, as, having informed our Director of Music that I'd b playing Walford Davies's 'Solemn Melody' and Elgar's 'Nimrod' before the service today, I couldn't find the music anywhere. I walked, rather anxiously, over to the Chapel, wondering whether I could busk it, and there, sitting rather smugly, I felt, was the book containing the aforementioned pieces! Divine intervention - or simply irresponsibility on my part? The latter, I suspect.

Anyway, they seemed to satisfactorily, and I was not displeased to have timed 'Nimrod' exactly, so that when the choir and the Chaplain were installed, my final chord was completed. It's that sort of thing, you know, that can make or break an organist's day ...... !

Mr and Mrs Sparrow always host the most incredible gathering after the service, and this year was no exception. All of us were there, and everyone was able to lay aside whatever petty niggles might be festering within the staff room, and enjoy the company of colleagues at peace.

Tom C and I then went out for lunch, as Mrs C had drawn the shortest of duteous straws and found herself on afternoon patrol, which of course necessitated the two men in her life having to find alternative feasting. Cibo's seemed to do the trick, and I was able to employ that well known paternal ploy of giving with the one hand, and keeping one's offspring up to the mark with the other. (Although I do find myself experiencing a modicum of hypocrisy as I offer advice about getting one's essays handed in on time, etc ..!)

I was so pleased to be able to speak informally with some of you tonight: it was a great pleasure. I don't think we have enough time to do things like that, usually, so it was good to be able to listen and learn.

Time to sign off now, though, and thank you for reading all my nightly offerings once again this week. Did I mention that we've had a blog hit from China? I think my reference to 'Spooks' might have had something to do with that! Apparently that last episode rather upset the authorities in Beijing. (I told Mrs C it would. She replied that I'd told her that three times.)

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment