Monday 8 November 2010

My people, I feel soooo much better. After all my whingeing about the way I hashed up one of the finest organ works ever composed, and then suggested that you might like to listen to the great Helmut Walcha playing it properly, I found it on YouTube (where you seem to be able to find anything and everything), and listened carefully. Right at the end of the prelude (before the fugue), Herr Walcha plays a wrong (well. actually, to be fair, it was more of an inexactitude - and he was blind) note! For some reason this blog doesn't let me copy and paste, and the link's too complicated to copy manually, but if you're interested, put Helmut Walcha Great G major Prelude and Fugue BWV 541 into the YouTube search and you'll find it.

Right. That's enough about organ music. To things more Newtonian.

Shoe-cleaning happened very successfully tonight, with four lucky winners who were rewarded edibly. (No, I didn't eat them. Yes, I know, prep school humour. Well they like it.) Such was the amount of conscientious polishing, however, that there wasn't time for the explanation of how the inter-dorm cricket competition is going to work, so we'll do that on Wednesday night.

Tonight's lodge feasting, then consisted of relented sweet rations (Starburst) from Saturday night, cut-up orange segments, apples, bananas and custard creams. I dunno: at my prep school if we had a small bottle of milk with a straw and a ginger nut we were lucky. (We used to try and get away with taking two, but a rebuking voice always seemed to boom out from nowhere when we did.)

Spooks tonight: another of my all-time faves. Did you know that I received a knock on the door from the security services one night in 1987? 11 o'clock, it was, and I was invited to consider the possibility of working for 'them'! Yes, honestly: I'm not making it up, you know: you can ask Mrs C to verify! Still, I didn't accept, so here I am, writing my nightly coded messa ...... I mean, writing this nightly blog.

Of course.

Goodnight ........

No comments:

Post a Comment