Wednesday 19 May 2010

My friends, when it's time for Mrs C and me to depart the dreaming spires, in the not hugely distant future, it's evenings - indeed days - like tonight that I shall remember. It's been the most glorious time, with the sun setting, happy and contented boys in the garden playing table tennis and running around playing catch games, and everyone enjoying themselves.

But the whole day has been great, too - despite the fact that my Colts C team lost their match (against Chandlings' B team!) rather seriously. Lessons went well this morning; all my tutees told me in their tutorials that they reckoned they were achieving between 8 and 10 on the 'happiness scale' and were doing well, and I was, as the yoof of today will have it, well pleased. So much so, in fact, that earlier tonight I decided to treat myself to the luxury of half an hour in Joe's wine bar, having a squint at the DT and seeing how the real world is getting on.

Having bought my favourite tipple, which I discovered while doing a bit of moonlighting - sorry, I mean private tutoring - in Rio de Janeiro in 1980, namely a caihprina (I never could spell it, and if I google it now I'll lose this bloglog), my ears picked up, by chance, music which sounded very similar to the Brazilian rhythms of my former days. It was all very nostalgic, although I have to tell you, people, that what was in my glass couldn't really hold a candle to the ones (note the plural form) that I enjoyed in Rio, or the ones to which I gave second place, which was in the (sadly now defunct) Rainbow Room at the top of the Rockefeller Building. I paid up and went back to SF, remembering just in time that the guitar concert had just started. I made a quiet entry and seemed to appreciate all of the performances very much indeed.

And so to Newton and all its jollity. You know, I think I'm getting slightly reflective in my old age.

Sleep well. I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment