Thursday 10 March 2011

Mr Porter has been at the helm tonight, it being a Thursday, and while he was steering the good ship Newton through clam waters, all was well. He left, quite rightly, and handed over control. I suspect that the Curlewites imagined that there'd be a little window of opportunity during the handover, so were just a little surprised when I intercepted their late-night ragging. So if you happen to be a Curlew parent, and your son and heir seems just a little tired tomorrow when you are reunited, you'll know why. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that you are aware of such high jinks ...... I managed to find one or two suitable words myself, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Did you see any of 'Famous, Rich and in the Slums'? Mrs C and I did, and were very moved by some of the stories that were told. It does make one think, and appreciate just how fortunate we are to live the lives that we do. One of the things that we both observed, though, was that the people of Kibera were always smiling: an example, in my opinion. We do tend to get worked up about so many little things. Well, I do, at least.

I gave what some considered to be a fairly contentious homily in Chapel this morning, about the archaic Lenten rituals. I wonder whether you've ever noticed that the adults in the choir don't wear their academic hoods for services during Lent, or that Mr Price or I play more sombre organ music? No, I thought not. Ma valise reste. Does God notice - or care? No, I think not. S/He's probably looking down at us like Catherine Tait, thinking 'Am I bovvered?' Ah, but you see, that's where I'm wrong, and have missed the point. It's all about self-discipline - isn't it? Well, as far as I'm concerned, I've given up neither chocolate nor imbibing, but I have taken up thinking. As I said to one of my supper partners, I don't think Our Lord went away just to give things up. But then I have to be careful, because if I start claiming that I'm trying to be more like J.C. I am no more worthy than the Pharisees.

It's late again, so that's enough. I can't hear a peep from Curlew.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment