Saturday 5 March 2011

Another day is done, and it's getting late. 'Stormbreaker' was the film of the night, and, I think, a reasonably successful hit. We now have a library of hundreds on the Arcos (I now know what one of those is, and it's not a temple of capitalism) and a great boon to our viewing it is, too. The only trouble now is that such is its wiring-up that we can't play individual DVDs on the DVD machine, and short of my having apoplexy while trying to re-wire the system for an evening, I think it's going to have to stay as it is.

The GK quiz, our Saturday evening entertainment this week, and presided over by the legend that is Dr Dean, was a huge success, and I was able once again to play at being HM by being the senior duty person - which was fine, although just a tad embarrassing when I noticed that the actual HM was seated as a member of the audience. Unctuously, I enquired, by sign language, at the end as to whether he might wish to officiate, but, in true parliamentary style, he kindly and generously 'gave way', enabling me to express thanks to Dr D and then to dismiss the school. No, it's not a coup, even though, symbolically, I noticed that the HM was sitting in the middle east row of Macmillan.

My reconnection with old school friends (see last night's post) has reminded me of the occasion when my 'new' music master, Dr John Byrt, arrived at the school and amazed us as he played us out of chapel (or rather, he would have done, if we hadn't remained transfixed in our seats) to Vierne's Toccata in B minor. It was without doubt the most incredible organ voluntary we'd ever heard, and so I thought that I would have a go at it. It's a remarkable piece, and all the more so when you recollect that Louis Vierne was completely blind. It's going well at the moment, and I'm intending to give a rendering of it before the end of term, but if you want to hear what it should really sound like, then put 'Vierne Toccata B minor' into the YouTube search engine. There are loads of performances of it, but the best, in my view, is the one by John Scott-Whiteley, who plays it on the organ of York Minster. Oliver Latry's performance, given on the Great Organ at Notre Dame, is very good, and probably more akin to what it sounded like when Vierne played it.

I think that'll do for a Saturday night: it's been a pretty normal evening, really, and all is well.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment