Tuesday 8 March 2011

It's surprising what gives cause for concern in the middle of the night. There I was, pondering, as one does at midnight, about whether I should have written 'the Creator Him/Herself', using capital Hs for the reflexive pronoun(s), and, indeed, whether I should have used a capital T for the definite article. I consoled myself by thinking that in French, there would be no question of a capital letter for the r.p., but that didn't really help. And then there was the question of the hyphen, of course. So, just to absolve my conscience, let me have another go: The Creator Him-/Herself. Yes, that's better.

You must think I'm very odd. Well, perhaps I am, but you can't be too careful about such things. Anyway, enough of grammatical issues, and let's hope that tonight avails me of a less troubled night's sleep.

It being Tuesday, it's Mrs C's and my half day. I joined a great friend of mine and my nephew for a splendid lunch at Gee's, and we were able to cover all kinds of subjects. It was a very happy and jolly occasion, and as my nephew was very kindly paying, it seemed all the more enjoyable for that. Mrs C, nephew and I met together here first, and managed to polish off the better part of a bottle of something appropriately chilled and bubbly - OK, yes, all of it - accompanied by a packet of Honey Roast Ham-flavoured crisps. I don't know whether you've ever come across them, but if not, they're available from Tesco's - and jolly good they are, too. Unfortunately, we had to sit in a field, due to the fact that, as Mrs C was keen to remind me, I hadn't mown the lawn, but as I pointed out, I wanted the crisps to be enjoyed in what would have been a free-range environment, similar to that in which the main contributors to the crisp packet would have spent their days. You can imagine the alacrity with which that was greeted. Anyway, stuff the crisps: the smoked mackerel pate at Gee's is to die for. Which, of course, come to think of it, is what the ....... no; too far.

Mr Bryan has been on duty tonight, and once again 'Newton's Got Talent' has been the main attraction of the evening, as we heard from time to time during tonight's episode of Holby. Donna's gone now, so it really is all change, is it not?

Not much about Newton, is there, but as I've said before, when one hasn't actually been on the shop floor, other topics have to take over.

I'll let you know how I get on with my reflexives.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment