Friday 4 March 2011

Incredible. There I was, thinking that going back nearly 40 years was pretty remarkable, when, as a result of an article I wrote for my school magazine that's apparently been published today, I received an e-mail from an old school friend of mine, thanking me for sharing the memories and inviting Diana and me (yes, that is the right pronoun, before anyone writes in) to join him and his wife for dinner somewhere! Goodness! That really has rolled back the years! He's in advertising, he tells me, and his brother is the consultant medic to the royal family and lives in Cirencester. I wonder if any of you know of this family. Do let me know if you do.

I've been the HM this afternoon, as Our Leader and our Deputy Leader have been away. Rather fun, I have to admit, and I was able to fantasise about how things might have been, had I submitted my application, which I didn't. In fact, I didn't even consider it, which will come as a great relief to many, I'm sure. Five years was quite enough for me, thank you very much, and I wouldn't want to go back to it again, either. Not these days. The thought of it makes me run hot and cold. Still, I couldn't resist an imperious stroll around the grounds, observing the various games that were in action, nor could I resist breezing into Mr Aldred's and Mrs C's form rooms in my new-found capacity as SF Supremo for a few hours. It's over now, though, and I've happily handed over the reins to my Master.

To Newton now, and when I saw a LM walking to his dorm carrying what appeared to be a whole box full of Skittles (sweets), I asked whether I could share them. His response of 'Well, not really, sir; they're my pants' was a little different from that which I was expecting. Quite why he would wish to transport his undergarments in a Skittles carton is beyond me, I'm afraid, and not a little bizarre.

Coffee in the HMDR yesterday morning was a pleasure, as always, and the biscuit upgrade this week consisted of very decent shortbread bics. I was a little taken aback, though, when I took my first sip of what purported to be coffee, as it had a very tea-ish taste to it. I informed the Director of Music of my concern, to which he replied that perhaps what was in my mug (yes, we have mugs, but they are classy SF ones) was, indeed, tea. I took another sip. Indeed it was. I must remember next week to take my coffee from one of the jugs marked 'tea', in that case.

And talking of food, as I do, regularly, the chocolate squares that were on offer in the staff room at teatime today were out of this world. I'm afraid I couldn't resist a second, but please keep that to yourselves, especially as Mr Fradgley opined, after just one square, that he would need to be on the exercise bike for at least two hours.

I'd better start pedalling.

Goodnight, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment