Friday 14 January 2011

H'm. Interesting day today. I went to play the organ and give the address for a Thanksgiving service for the wife of a former SF governor this afternoon: it was a lovely service, with a packed church, and Im sure she would have liked it.

Back here tonight, of course, and there's been great excitement, as the upstairs lights fused earlier this evening, causing all the first floor rezzies to find themselves in pitch darkness, informing me, with no uncertain degree of optimism that they hoped there would be a 'power cut' every night as it was such fun. Such 'fun', my dear readers, was not entirely shared by your correspondent, who spent a large part of the evening in (appopriately!) Fawlty mode, offering large and small ironic comments, at various degrees of volume, which seemed to keep the troops entertained. Of course, Mrs C, whose representation of Sybil has some way to go, was the voice of common sense, doing mature things like finding a powerful torch - that worked.

Still, it was good news for all, as silent reading had to be abandoned (for reasons that are perhaps more evident to you than to the half a dozen of the upstairs crew, who asked me whether there was going to be any) and Channel 5's 'The Real Story of the Pirates of the Caribbean' was turned on.

Additionally, we were able to enjoy gifts from overseas: the first called, I'm very reliably informed, 'chin-chin', which are to the unitiated (such as I), sort of sweet croutons (sweet as in quite sweet to the taste rather than cute. Ha! Cute croutons: cutons. Oh, never mind), and also further delicacies which to me were macaroons, or almost, but nicer. So to the generous providers of this delightful fare, thank you very much indeed.

The lights, as I type, have not been repaired, but as there's no need for illumination in the dorms at this hour, it's of no consequence. But then again, it wasn't last night, either ..... Sorry, I know, I said I wouldn't mention it. Yes, I know.

That's it for tonight, then. Goodnight - and a warm welcome to our new Followers, wherever, and whomsoever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment