Wednesday 12 January 2011

And we're back. Welcome, everyone, especially if you're reading the Newton Blog for the first time, and I hope that you'll all find at least something to enjoy during the course of this term's nightly accounts.

It was good to catch up with many this morning: everyone seemed in good spirits, and it's been a real pleasure to welcome our two newcomers, both of whom seem very happy and excellent value. It was good to see the old stagers being kind and supportive, and trying to ensure that the newbies felt comfortable. 'Newbies': what a dreadful word. Sorry, I've been watching too many episodes of 'Scrubs'. (It was Tom, you see; he made me.) (Yes, I know he should have been writing essays on Japanese linguistics. And what with Hannah having to write an essay on such things as pragmalinguistics and sociolinguistics, it all got a bit, well, linguistic, to say the least! Still I quite enjoyed discovering the joys of such things, and helping (euphemism) them to compose erudite literature. Just like this. Smiley face.)

It sounded as if Christmas was fun for one and all: it was in our house, too, notwithstanding the mother-in-law (of whom I'm very fond; don't get me wrong) and her incessantly tinkling hearing aid. I don't know if you've ever watched the Fawlty Towers episode featuring Mrs Richards, the deaf lady, but if you have - or do - you'll get some idea of the Cheater family gathering. You can guess, no doubt, which role I assumed.) I did ask, yet again, for the Aston Martin, but to no avail: something to do with the size of chimney, I believe.

Anyway, all has been unpacked and stowed away, so we're up and running once again. All is well, and let's hope for another really good term.

Until tomorrow night, then, goodnight. It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment