Wednesday 29 September 2010

So, there we are. Or rather, there we will be, when tomorrow comes. And where, I wonder to myself, did those weeks go? Terrifying. I really can't believe that we've reached First Short Leave already - and there's so much to get through before exams, too ... ! Still, the boys do seem to working pretty hard, so I think there's much to celebrate as we jam on the brakes at the first lay-by of term.

While I remember, I see from my stats that we now have a Follower in Kuwait! Greetings, my friend - and welcome aboard!

Tonight there was a lecture, given by some chap who'd cycled around most of the globe, which was, I'm sure, most informative, but such was his enthusiasm that it meant that all Newtonians were late to lodge - and I suppose my fretting about that is worthy only of being placed in the same category of the way I get more worked up over a split infinitive in a news report, rather than the catastrophe that's being reported, pedant that I am. I wrote a letter about such things to the Daily Telegraph to day, so I won't spoil the excitement of your reading, if the editor should consider my pedantic ranting worthy of publication - although I have to confess that my hit-rate as far as letters to the editor is concerned is a lot less than it was a couple of years ago, so don't hold yer breath.

To return to things Newtonian. I walked into Osprey where I beheld a resident walking in a hunchback style, throwing a packet of Starburst over his head and endeavouring to catch it as it came down behind it. The response given to my enquiry as to what on Earth was going on was that 'Mr Bush was trying to do it with a board marker.' Well, what would you do? Of course you would. So I did, having agreed with the owner of said packet that if I were successful, I could keep the contents. We settled the deal at half the packet and I went for it. Up went the Starburst - down came the Starburst - onto the floor. Oh well, at least I tried.

I had a potentially nasty incident the sports hall this afternoon, when one member of my game, who was playing indoor football, went for the ball, tripped and fell backwards, very awkwardly. Sister was called, who called for an ambulance; a 'car amblulance' arrived, and called for a big ambulance, whose on-board paramedics advised us that it was no more than a nasty fall, and would result in a nasty bruise or two. All a bit alarming, but thank the Lord, all was well. You won't be surprised to learn that I couldn't help but think of Casulaty. (Mis-typed, as usual.)

Those of you who have been following the initial progress of my son and heir at London University's School of Oriental and African Studies will, I hope, be pleased to learn that the traumas of his first 24 hours are now behind him; he's made lots of new friends, loves the course and is having a great time catching up with all his London-based friends. Most of whom seem to want to ply him with food, which is very generous of them. So renewed thanks to those of you who offered him (and us!) such great support in helping to get him started.

I think that's it for now, then. Have a lovely weekend, and I'll be back on line on Monday night.

Goodnight - and, as ever, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment