Thursday 19 May 2011

Dr Dean is a fascinating man. This evening was the night of my termly visit to the Deanery, and as I have had a very fine bottle of wine sitting in my erm, 'cellar' since last term, provided for the specific purpose of being consumed with aforementioned luminary when we next met, I took both bottle and especially selected cheeses down the road, where, amid much cerebral discussion and intellectual challenge, we managed to make inroads into all of it. (OK, we ate and drank the lot.)

Musically, I was treated to the finest of recordings of 'O magnum mysterium', by Morten Lauridsen, which is truly the most stunning work, and one that I think I am going to request of Mr Music-Price that might be sung at my/our final Chapel service next July. That will finish me off - and if you don't know it, do download it from iTunes, or whatever one does these days.

Thence to the music of John Blow, which was amazing, and from there to the poetry of the Hungarian poet, Georgy Faludy, and my endoctored friend knows his son, so that was doubly interesting. I'm ashamed to tell you that I knew nothing of said poet, but it sounds as if he was a fascinating man, and it was a privilege to be in the company of someone who actually knew him.

As for Newton tonight, well, Mr Porter has been in charge, and they're all silent now ayt 21.58, so I can safely assume that all is well. They all seemed very happy and content when they left the lodge this morning.

And as for the Thursday morning biscuit upgrade - not good, I fear. (Though one does now get coffee from the jugs marked 'coffee', so things are looking up.)

Until tomorrow.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment