Wednesday 9 June 2010

Sme us were fortunate enough to be given an impromptu piano recital tonight. What happened was, you see, that the background music that I was playing on my 'sound system' (old-fashioned hi-fi, in fact) was Debussy's 'Clair de lune', and from behind the door popped half a dozen enquiring heads. Looking disappointed that it was neither I nor Tom (with whom I was discussing car insurance) who was playing, I noticed that one of the heads was joined to the rest of a body that formed a particularly musical whole. I invited the owner of same to play, reminding him of the words of my first headmaster (yes, that's right, the one who told me the limerick about the Jill that I can't tell you for reasons of decency: suffice it to say that atomic pills come into it) who told me that it was always considered impolite to refuse an invitation to play the piano at a social function if one had been blessed with such a gift. I was delighted that my invitation was accepted and we were all treated to a fine performance of a lovely piece from the romantic period.

It's been a very pleasant, fruit-chomping, table-tennis playing, telly-watching, piano-enhancing evening in Newton tonight, and apart from one particular resident advising me that I needed to shed a few kilos, all has gone swimmingly. Particularly in the upstairs bathroom. As for my dietary advisor, he needed to be sat upon and squashed. (Metaphorically, of course.)

Gute nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment