Sunday 12 June 2011

My apologies for the lack of communication last night: as there were but eight boys with us last night I imagined (probably wrongly) that you would have heard all the goss from your young themselves. If you didn't, then I'm sorry, and congratulations to all those who won their matches, and although the Colts Cs didn't quite manage it, they put up a splendid fight and, thanks to contribution of many Newtonians, almost did. If you'd like to see the results, then I'm sure they're on the SF website by now.

Tonight has been one of those surreal evening, in which the conversation takes some very strange twists and turns. For a start, most of the conversation took place in silent reading, and was initiated a Kingfisherian who, on asking me when my rein as supremo of the Colts C team began, was surprised when he received the answer '1756'. (OK, yes, I started it.)

Another KF: 'Sir, are you really that old?'

Me: 'Yes'.

A different KF: 'Gosh! That makes you ..... erm ....er ...... ' (Good luck in the maths exam tomorrow.)

Original KF: 'H'm. I wonder what someone who hadn't had a bath for 3000 years would smell like.'

Yet another KF: 'Yes. I wonder how you describe that.'

We groped around for a fitting simile, but failed miserably, with your nightly correspondent making a mental note to check that his after-shave and deodorant levels were topped up.

Tonight, we had the great privilege of welcoming the Revd Bannister-Parker to our chapel, who gave a sparkling sermon about Pentecost, complete with helium balloons and flaming flag (although the flag wasn't really flaming), and it was a further privilege to welcome her father, the legendary Sir Roger Bannister to (a) chapel and (b) the junior day room afterwards. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to speak to the great man (as someone who used to love running I would have welcomed the opportunity), but I will forgive the colleague who was chosen to look after him, because he is a great friend. Still.

I wonder if anyone else noticed the synergy (a contemoporary word, often heard and seen in business-speak, it seems) between Pentecost and Sir Roger, who ran like the wind. No? Just me then. Perhaps it's just as well that I was passed over: I would probably have said something pathetic like that anyway.

More tomorrow - after Day 1 of exams .....

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment