Wednesday 20 October 2010

Oh - my - goodness. (Or the equivalent of the young on Facebook.) I knew it. I knew, as soon as I mentioned it to the Head of Classics, that I would be shown up as the complete ignoramus that I am. I quote - or rather, I would, if my stupid computer would allow me to do so - Mr Bryan's expert counsel on the use of the gerund versus the gerundive. I will endeavour to add it to this post if my irritating facilitator will allow me to do so.

Ce soir je suis tres fier de mes Newtoniens. And I wrote that because, notwithstanding the strikes going on in France a ce moment our top scorer today hails from that excellent country, and there was much celebration as a result. Une demie trimestre, comme j'ai dit. I made a very rash promise tonight, that, in view of the fact that the Newton record of goals in one day, when all teams were playing, is 16, if we ever manage 17 there will be a sweet ration all round. You can imagine, no doubt, the enthusiasm and alacrity with which that was received .... !

It's been a great day. Mr Fradgley, our splendid new-ish recruit, achieved fully qualified status today - and, as you can imagine, this caused considerable celebration. (At his place - and his expense.) We're thrilled, and we couldn't wish for a better colleague. The fact that he can now enter the staff room without being a guest of the Director of Studies is tremendous. (Joke.) (But not much of one.)

Oh, I'm SO frustrated at my inability to incorporate Mr Bryan's explanation of the gerund! I've tried everything, copying and pasting to all conceivable places, but without success.

So I must welcome our new Follower from Singapore, instead. Welcome, my friend, whoever you are, and I hope you will be happy here. (I promise not to mention Richmond in this post.) It was good to see that you had come to see what we get up to. Incidentally, I had a nice Facebook message from our Follower in Uganda - and learnt to my (our) delight that she is expecting a baby!

I have a wager with a Newtonian that Wayne Rooney won't leave Man U. I think I'm going to lose.

And on that note .......

I wish you an appropriate and topical 'Bonne nuit'.

No comments:

Post a Comment