Sunday 17 October 2010

If Tom C were here, he would no doubt be able to tell me, four weeks into his Japanese course at London Uni (versity) (I only put that because Tom reads this blog from time to time and he hates the sobriquet 'uni'), what salutation I should use in that fine and ancient language for this time of day. Sadly, he isn't, so he can't - but I did have a very enjoyable Skype convo (ersation) (no, not convoersation, that would be silly) earlier. (What a lot of paretheses.) (I'm always amused by the page in Eton's calendar, which, of course, they wouldn't refer to as such a chavvy name as 'calendar', preferring, of course, the more idiosyncratic and refined 'Fixtures', that shows 'Masters' initials and of others in parentheses. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be an Eton beak in paretheses, as I'm sure it would be most interesting.) Enough of all that, for I have a serious point to make in a moment. For now, though, my warm greetings to our readers in Richmond, who tell me that all this talk of welcoming people from Outer Mongolia, or anywhere ending in -istan, etc. makes them feel rather left out. There is an inclusivity policy on this blog, so everyone must feel as welcome as anyone else.

To serious matters, for a moment. Tonight I had occasion to upbraid a dorm as a result of an incident that could only be described as bullying. I have assured all of the Newton residents that they have nothing to fear if they feel they are being bullied, and that they should inform me, Mrs C, their tutor, or any member of staff with whom they feel comfortable, immediately. They should never keep it to themselves. On the other hand, I have advised anyone who is involved in bullying that such behaviour will be reported to the highest authorities, as well as their parents. The silence, after I had delivered this advice, was deafening. I wasn't angry; but I was firm - and I think they got the message.

I had a lovely chat with one of my ex-tutees earlier this evening: he's now at Radley, and was absolutely charming. And I'm not just writing that because his parents are NFN Followers, either. That was an added bonus, of course, to the fact that a former Mayfieldian, from preblogistoric times, came back to see Mrs C and me, complete with girl friend, for tea. We meandered down Memory Lane, inevitably, and I learnt all kinds of things ..... ! I do like it when my former pupils make a return visit, as I do when I receive e-mails from them - and I've had several already this term, all telling me of early achievements and successes.

Time for Downton Abbey, methinks. Truly uplifting drama, imho.

Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment