Wednesday 6 October 2010

Oh, ha flipping ha. We had our Harvest lunch today, to which we invited the residents of the local homes for the elderly. A very good 'do', what with a glass of wine in New Room beforehand and then a first-rate roast lunch, prepared by our excellent new catering company. As 'community co-ordinator', or whatever I am, it fell to me to act as the maitre d' and to ensure that all of our guests were looked after royally, which I think they were. They certainly seemed to like it all. The boys who were asked to sit by them and chat were amazing, and some even got off their chairs and took the plates to the kitchen!

Anyway, to return to my intro. Once I was satisfied that everyone had been served, I collected my own lunch and sat at the head of one of the tables, between two people who were both aged 89. The boys, of course, couldn't resist it. Before I had a chance to send them away, they were beside me, enquiring as to whether I was all right, whether I wanted any second helpings, whether I wanted my meat cut up, or whether I wanted to go to ....... - you get my drift. I assured them that I was not actually one of the guests - yet - and that I was perfectly capable of looking after myself, thank you very much. And anyway, Mr Hannah, who's older than me, was there, too. I told them to go and see him.

Tonight in Newton it's been a spirited evening: fruit, Digestives (yes, they're still here), orange/apple juice, and mini-chocs for those who managed to put their laundry to the wash in time all made for a convivial time. Wednesday nights are TV nights, so The Simpsons made an appearance, much to the delight of many, and computer excitement was available for those who find equal delight in such an activity.

And now they're reading silently as I tap this post out to the world. Not for many more seconds , though, as I'm about to turn their lights out and say good night.

So, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment