Wednesday 16 September 2009

I meant to tell you about the box. One of our fraternity received a lovely new gift in a large vertical, cardboard box. Well, think up-ended box and ten-year old boys and you will arrive at the inevitable conclusion. Hence the somewhat ludicrous dialogue, typical of those often held between teacher and pupil:

"And just what do you think you are doing in that box?"

"Sir, they put me in it."

Of course they did. They would, wouldn't they.

"Well, get out of it now, and I think I'll have that box, thank you very much."

That was last night. Tonight was a lovely evening, not least because it was a birthday evening, and I was pleased to learn that he had had a 'great day'. It was a TV night, so there was a choice of watching whatever was on BBC 1, or watching part of the match between Liverpool and Debre-something-or-other. As one who has only ever supported Derby County, and rather lost interest ever since the demise of the late, great Brian Clough, my zeal for tonight's match was limited - although as I was invited to come and watch it, I thought it churlish to refuse.

Dr (Paul) Dean and Mr (Joe) Porter will be on duty tonight (Thursday). Diana and I will be off duty.

A bientot.

1 comment:

  1. It is ages since I have laughed so much - oh the images that sprang to mind! I guess having two boys I understand only too well. I plan on showing this part of your blog to my mother - my only concern is that she might wet herself laughing.
    Fantastic
    Thank you
    Caroline Dunn

    ReplyDelete