Thursday 24 September 2009

I am becalmed.

Last night was a lovely evening, with all Newtonians behaving themselves and being suitably efficient about things domestic. The only person who was in trouble was your correspondent, who returned from a social gathering of staff in Savage's, just in time to officiate in the lodge, but lost his footing on the step to the front door, in the dark, causing a flowerpot containing one of Mrs C's prize plants to disintegrate rather noisily. As I was at pains to point out to my dear spouse, it was the darkness and not the social gathering that was the cause of this unfortunate incident, but perhaps, on reflection, my suggestion that putting a flowerpot on a step was a pretty idiotic thing to do was less than diplomatic, under the circumstances. So, out of the den and into the dog-house, as it were.

The boys, of course, could do no wrong. There they were, playing games in the common room, watching TV in our sitting room, playing at the computer: what cherubs you have ..... ! I found myself being invited to converse with woolly animals of all shapes and sizes during silent reading, in a sort of Ray Alan way (That dates me, does it not?!), which went down extremely well with the owners of said pets. Did I really write that down?

Dr Dean will be at the helm tonight: D and I will be dining chez Bryan. No need for a baby alarm, as their house is within hearing range of Newton. But I will be very careful indeed when we return .... !

No comments:

Post a Comment