Thursday 25 March 2010

So there we are, then. The end of one of the most difficult terms I can recall since I started in this game in 1973. We've come through snow, and a really nasty, virulent 'bug', and the Newtonians have been great throughout all of it. And tonight they have packed without a problem.

I know you won't mind my offering a special word of thanks and appreciation to Diana, because I know full well that if it weren't for her this place would fall apart. And despite wading through unmentionable piles of, well, unmentionable things, in the small hours of the morning for days on end, clearing it up and sending the projectors back to bed with a reassuring 'goodnight', she seems impervious to anything that might cause her to take to her own bed. As I said in my wedding speech in 1981, never question your wife's judgement: just remember who she married.

Lots of thanks, too, are due to Miss Chloe, who arrived at this strange and idiosyncratic place from the other side of the world, to be greeted by white fields, white houses, white cars and white everything else. She is a great asset - even if, by her own confession, she's 'not a morning person'!

And while I'm expressing thanks, I mustn't forget my colleagues, Mr Bryan, Dr Dean and Mr Porter, who have always been willing to help out, not just on their regular nights, but on other occasions, too.

Have a lovely time with your boys, wherever in the world you may be. I'm off to New York for a week on Saturday, and I can't wait. Thank you all for your support - and for taking the time to log on to the nightly reports. I couldn't write them without you.

Goodnight, one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment