Wednesday 21 April 2010

What a way to start the new term - especially after the traumas of the last one! Icelandic ash all over the northern hemisphere and people stuck around the globe as a result! Fortunately, it seems that those who know about such things as volcanic eruptions have seen the light at last and done what the BBC decided to call an 'about face'. (Presumably because they imagine that no Radio 4 listener would have any French at all and would be flummoxed by the words 'volte face'.)

And talking of words, I was glad to learn that many of you have been amused by the Telegraph correspondence that I initiated by informing the nation about Diana's unusual and original verbs. I'm sure that many people have found themselves burridging about while coopying down.

The Newtonians have returned in very good spirits and are eager to cross La Manche tomorrow. Having taken a trip myself some years ago, I know what good value and how very enjoyable they are. Of course, Diana and I will be beside ourselves with grief for the next few days, and as you can imagine, we'll just have to be content with pouring ourselves a glass of something appropriate and playing gin rummy, or something. (And just in case you're thinking 'no change there, then', as I expect some of you are, don't.)

If I were feeling brave, I would attempt to describe tonight's instructions to the troops about the logistics required for packing before tomorrow's departure, but, frankly, it's so complicated that I wouldn't have a hope of conveying it all to you. I'm not even going to try. What I will do, though, is to thank all of you for so kindly unpacking and packing while you were here: it was a terrific help and hugely appreciated.

I was delighted to learn that so many people had had a great holiday, completely unaffected by eruptions. We have, too: I had a truly wonderful time in New York and then we enjoyed a lovely family time in West Dorset. The old bike travelled many, puncture-free miles, and the old man on the back of it was very happy.

I will endeavour to relay any news from La Grand' Ferme as and when I receive, so keep on bloglogging and see what appears. Until then, I bid you all goodnight - and a very happy new term.

No comments:

Post a Comment