Saturday 17 October 2009

Psalm 8, verse 2; St Matthew's Gospel, ch. 21, verse 16. For those followers whose religious knowledge may have temporarily escaped them, I refer to the wording found in both references:

'Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings'.

And I'm writing the Sunday entry tonight, because otherwise I will forget some of the classic quotes of the evening. viz.:

While watching X Factor: "Everyone wants to kiss Cheryl Cole. Well, my dad certainly wants to kiss her.'

'Sir, did you see an act called 'Grand 2000'? It was these grandparents singing. You could go on and be just like them.'

Oh, don't you wish you were here?! What wonderful sons and heirs you have; and what a privilege it is for Mrs C and me (yes, that is the right pronoun: dative case (to or for)) to look after them.

It was a lovely evening tonight: all the boys were in calm, thoughtful and affectionate humour, and the various cinemas were a pleasure to visit and enjoin. I couldn't do any of it, though, without the help of my first officer, my dear Diana, whose evening consisted of counting in the right number of leagues and cords in the baskets provided, putting the p. and s. in the machine, locating the guilty who had not acted as asked, and giving out the sweet rations. Believe me, she works a lot harder than I do!

Oh well. At least I don't have an overwhelming age to kiss Cheryl Cole. Ha! there's a Freudian slip if ever there was one! I meant to type 'urge'! Oh dear, now I really am getting into hot water!

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment