Wednesday 7 October 2009

Another pleasant night for Mr Bryan, I hear. That is, if we overlook an(other) attempt at nocturnal antics on the part of the Heronians! Mr B's handling of all of this was extremely worthy of a Newtonian lodgemaster, as I learn that he informed those for whom sleep had not yet become an option that their behaviour had earned them a yellow card - and if there was any more of it the lights would go back on and he would enquire who was responsible! Silence thereafter, I am pleased to report!

It occurs to me that, while I often speak about Newtonian evenings, I have not given my readers and followers much information about what goes on in the mornings. Well, I suppose it goes without saying that boys being boys their out-of-bed times are variable ...! However, once they have all dressed, and, er, 'made their beds' (we never had duvets in my day: we had proper sheets, blankets and counterpanes - and we needed a 'bed pass' from the dorm captain before we were released from the room. No hospital corners, no escape. I must be very old), they and I assemble in the Common Room and watch the Breakfast news. Fascinating it is to hear the comments!

"Oh! The FTSE's gone down again! My dad won't like that!"

"Be quiet you lot! I want to see the weather! I only stay for the weather!"

"Cor! That's amazing! That boy should be on X Factor!"

is a small selection for you to savour.

Hair combed/brushed, shoes on, collars out, guernseys on: then they leave and another day begins.

H'm. Bed passes. What a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment