Thursday 23 February 2012

I know, I know: it's Thursday and I'm not supposed to be on duty. Long story, but in a nutshell, things got complicated the week before last when the deep snows befell us, so Mr Porter's off tonight, and Mrs C and I are on. Don't ask.

The life of a lodegmeister is nothing if not varied. Tonight, as I walked past Curlew, I happened upon one LM on an upper bunk dangling a woolly snake to the floor below, and another LM grabbing same, telling me that they were 'playing deep sea fishing'. I terminated this game very quickly, especially when the owner of the upper bunk showed me, by attaching another snake to a husky teddy (a teddy that was in the form of a husky, not a teddy whose growl was a tad hoarse), how the survival method worked. Bear Grylls it wasn't.

I then moved upstairs, where I was asked whether I knew the Siamese National Anthem. The fun was rather spoilt when I replied that I did, so my questioners moved on to further humour, asking me various questions, the answer to one I did not know, and I did find rather amusing. i.e.: it raised a smile. I have now forgotten it, which is what happens when you get to my age. I think I told you that the Stannah Stairlift people are planning to make a high-speed version, so that people like me can get to the top of the stairs before we forget what we went upstairs for in the first place.

We had a second television night tonight, which was a little wayward, because strictly speaking it contravenes regulation number 356437/AFGT/SF/6/12/A, which clearly states that television may be watched only on Wednesdays, Saturdays (in the form of a film) and Sundays. However, as the LMs missed their TV night two weeks ago because of a lengthy lodge meeting, we thought we'd make it up to them. If there's no post on this blog tomorrow night, you may assume that my reckless behaviour was deemed entirely unacceptable, and that Mrs C and I have made a premature exit.

Our Leader was away today, which led me to believe that biscuit upgrade day would not happen. I was proved wrong, however, and real Thursday coffee (but everyday bics) were served in the HMDR, Deputy Head presiding. My excitement was enstinguished, however, when Mr Hannah and I realised that we were on Break duty. Still, I did manage to sneak a quick cup of coffee from the pot right at the end.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment