Friday 13 January 2012

You know how I said the previous post was number 431? It wasn't: it was post number 441. My mistake, and thank you to those of you who took the trouble to point out that my old age is already taking its toll. Most kind.

Dialogue between me and a Newtonian tonight:

N: Sir, are these old desks yours?

Me: Yes. I've had them for years. I acquired them in 1875.

N (in all seriousness): Were you really around then, sir?

Me: Yes.

N: Gosh, you must be old.

Well, there we are. That and the fact that when I opined (!) (the exclamation mark is especially for one of my readers who is very taken by the word) in my Third Year English set that I was probably as old - or older - than some of their grandparents, one wit rejoined with 'Er, great-grandparents - sir'. Oh well, at least he said 'sir'.

Tonight has been fun, with the implementation of the game 'Bananagram'. The whole thing looks like a rather anarchic version of Scrabble to me, but Miss (Harriet) Lade joined in wholeheartedly, and was sitting on the floor with a select number of Banananians in the DCR, thoroughly immersing herself in said fruity activity. (If you see what I mean.) Did I ever tell you (immodestly) that my greatest moment in Scrabble was while Mrs C and I were on holiday in Kenya (pre-school fees) and, during a most enjoyable evening's entertainment with friends, in the middle of nowhere, I managed 'xylophone', right down the centre of the board. The game was terminated at that point, leaving me with a very smug grin on my face.

Hot choc, bourbons and further fruit all added to tonight's portfolio of happiness, and all has been thoroughly enjoyable, after a particularly busy day. Oh, and by the way, talking of keeping people happy, yesterday's Thursday staff meeting in the HMDR (Headmaster's Drawing Room, for those of you with amnesia) incorporated the most delicious chocolate brownies! Now that really was an upgrade! (You see, the fact that this is read in the corridors of SF power has its advantages ..... )

Until tomorrow,

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment