Tuesday 31 January 2012

Good evening, and greetings to our new Followers in Poland and Azerbaijan .... !

I've been to London Town today, wheeler-dealing with regard to life post-SF, and not without success, either. But more of than in due course; suffice it to say for now that I don't think I shall be at too much of a loose end.

On the train coming back, though, I really did nearly laugh out loud. I was sitting facing an earnest looking chap, who looked as if he was in middle management or something similar. His phone rang (as did just about everyone else's, and the carriage was full of vitally important phrases such as 'Yeah, I'm on the train', and other such thought-provoking statements) and he looked concerned.

Chap: Hi Tim. (Pause) Yeah. Oh, right. Yeah, good idea. Thanks. Yeah.

I thought that something was amiss at the office, to judge from his concerned countenance. Sonia might have left suddenly, perhaps, or Steve had given in his notice.

Chap: Yeah. Great. Chickenburger, I think. Yeah, chickenburger.

I now realised that things were not so bad after all.

Chap: Er, yeah. Double-breasted with cheese. Thanks.

By this time I was more than faintly amused. Earnest (for that is what I mentally called him) rang off. Within seconds, his phone rang again.

Earnest: Oh. Yeah. Er, medium.

I averted my gaze and studied the passing visual delights of Slough. Think Betjeman.

Anyway, Holby City was great tonight: metaphorical to a fault and full of dramatic irony. I do like the way Mr Hansen does things, and I wish I had his cool. I bet he's better at repairing helicopters than I am, too.

As for your LMs, well, I can't hear a thing, so I think I can happily assume that Mr Bryan's touch on the tiller has been effective. It usually is.

Btw, Miss (Harriet) Lade is the best at getting the boys out of bed in the morning: no-one has left the lodge after 7.27am so far this term! (I hope Miss Alex isn't reading this!) (Bet you are, Alex!)

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment