Tuesday 6 July 2010

It's late, my friends, but all is well. The end of term is upon us and things seem to be winding up or down as they should at the moment - but it would be very foolish of me to assume that nothing untoward will occur between now and Saturday! Mr B has been on duty tonight, but please don't imagine for a moment that I've been idle: there is much to do and these so-called 'nights off' at this time of the term involve more than just thumb-twiddling.

Tom has a friend from Germany staying at the moment, and I fear that my own knowledge of their language goes back to O level in 1967. So when I tried saying 'Ich habe Deutschen gelernen wenn ich war am den Schule, aber ich habe alles vergessen' (which I actually thought was pretty impressive), the response I received from our Teutonic guest was 'I can tell that, actually'. And I suppose, in a funny sort of way, I should have been pleased by that. I have to admit that said friend is one of the most amusing young people I have ever come across, as his comedic timing is second to none.

He did, though, think my rendition of Beethoven's 'Pathetique' sonata was pretty commendable, and gave it a good mark. I had to learn it when I was am den Schule, you see, and it's amazing how such things stay with one for the rest of one's days. That, and Rachmaninoff's C sharp minor Prelude: those are the two pivotal moments, I think. If you have the time, do listen to both works, and then, if you're feeling vaguely melancholic for any reason, may I recommend the second movement of Mozart's Piano Concerto in A major, K 488? Stunning. Try it. Oh go on, you can download it from iTunes, or whatever they're called. (And if you really want a good cry, then the slow movement of Shostakovitch's 2nd Piano Concerto will finish you off.)

Enjoy - and gute nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment