Thursday 8 December 2011

The little man sat, cross-legged on his upper bunk, and with Santa's hat fixed firmly about his head, unaware of his preceptor looking on from the open door. In the lowered light, silver and gold tinsel glistened, gently, as he gazed, entranced, at his emptying advent calendar and all the familial photos that, having given so much comfort during the term that was now beginning to take its toll, but whose spirit was still very much alive, now became part of his own private nativity. He was in his own world: a world that was no-one else's but his; a world that said, quite simply, 'This is Christmas'. And he beckoned me in. For just that moment, our worlds were one. His the innocent longing of days to come; mine the reflection of days that are passing, all too quickly. The little man turned his head and said, softly, 'Sir, how does it look?'
'Terrific', I replied, and, turning away, I knew that, for us both, this is Christmas.

Funny how creativity gets the better of one, is it not? I just felt I wanted to write that down - so I did. Perhaps it gives you just a tiny glimpse of Newtonian life at the moment, bourbons, pink biscuits, apple juice and shoe-cleaning notwithstanding!

Last night went well, I'm pleased to report, although as I said to several people today, I was far outside my comfort zone up in the organ loft of that mighty instrument! But what a privilege! I'll never forget it.

Before I forget, congratulations - sincere ones - are due to a Newtonian parent on his graduation as an MBA today! Wonderful news, and I hope the celebrations went really well. I can't mention any names, of course, but his son's name begins with an R. And his surname is hypenated.

We had the senior poetry reading comp tonight, in Macmillan, and I'm glad to say that many Newtonians participated, and that one Newtonian won the third year section! No names of course, but the LM in question's name begins with A and his surname ends in -ton. Two others, whose names I can't mention, but whose initials are G.C. and C.M. did really well, too and made their lodgemeister very proud.

That's it, then, for tonight, so until tomorrow,

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment