Friday 11 December 2009

It's not every day that one receives an invitation from the Ministry of Education in Kabul to go and train up a few music examiners, is it? Nice to be asked, but I think I'll have to give that one some considerable thought. I must confess that I would be fascinated to go. And come back.

Which brings me to music-making nearer home. Mrs C and I were at Burford last night, as were many of you, as the choir were giving a concert there. It seemed to go very well and it was good to meet a number of prospective parents, too. Mr Porter was therefore acting Captain, and he informed me that all had gone well, which was good (essential!) to hear. Diana and I were treated to a luxurious ride home in a lovely Newtonian-parental car and we arrived back in time to take over from our assistant and to say goodnight to our charges. Some of whom were asleep.

Today has been full of musical activity, too, as we went to sing carols at Sobell House, the hospice for terminally ill patients, as we do every year at this time. All very moving, as it always is, and puts our own lives into perspective. Tonight, I've just returned from accompanying the choir at Ponsonby House for the Aged, here in Summertown, and the residents there were aslo hugely appreciative.

And now to Lodge. Sorry these entries are rather late in appearing, but everything gets a bit manic at this time of the term. When the residents here are calm, as they will be tonight (!), 'lodge duty' is a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the day.

I'm not ready for the rest home yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment